Please wait... we are looking for facilities that match your request
14117 ARROMANCHES LES BAINS
The Mulberry Harbour was an artificial port built on the coast of Normandy during World War II to allow the supply of the allied armies in the days following the Normandy landings.
In fact, two ports were assembled off the beaches of Calvados, but only one is operational at Arromanches, Omaha Beach to the second was destroyed by a storm June 19, 1944.
The construction of this port to the Allies avoided having to take a direct deep-water port.
The Mulberry Harbour was made up of various large prefabricated in England, shipped and assembled on the Normandy coast.
The artificial port was often put forward as having ensured the success of the Battle of Normandy and presented as an example of engineering and military logistics.
But historians now relativize some role until the restarting of the port of Cherbourg, a majority of the combined supply will be made by a direct landing on the beaches or by the use of small ports on the Normandy coast .